Welcome to Mountain Breeze Devotions

Mountain Breeze Devotions began in May of 2003. This ministry is an email ministry sending devotionals and meditations seven days a week by request.
It is the sister site of www.ChristianDevotions.US

This is the ministry of authors Cindy Sproles and Eddie Jones. Two friends brought together to serve the Father -- to spread the word to those who may not know and to promote the art and writers of Christian writing.

Welcome to Mountain Breeze Devotions --Cindy Sproles, author

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Rooted Deep



Some (of the seed) fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. – Matthew 13: 5,6

I stepped out my door this morning into fog. Not just any fog, but the kind that you can't see your feet when you look down. The door latched behind me and I felt as though some misty monster had engulfed me. I could feel the dampness of the air grasp hold of my skin. A chill inched through my soul and for a brief moment, I was frightened.

As I lifted my foot to step from the porch, there was a feeling of uncertainty. I knew where I was but nothing looked familiar. The way to the sidewalk was unrecognizable, yet I stepped forward. One, two, three steps into the fog and I hesitated, looking back to toward the porch. Nothing. Suddenly I lost my bearings. The way I had walked so many times became so skewed I couldn't be sure.

I wished for a moment I had a rope attached to my waist so I could find my way back. That insecurity of having nothing to hold to – nothing to grasp for that would offer me reassurance, overwhelmed me.

Turning in a circle, I shrugged and said, "God, are you there? I have nothing to ground me – nothing to hold to?" There was silence. "Father? I'm lost."

He moved close to me and spoke, "You aren't lost. You're firmly rooted. Hang on."

I had to wonder what roots had to do with the fact I was lost in the deep dark, dampness of the fog. It didn't make sense. I was struggling to find my way – afraid of the things I couldn't bring into view.

God walks along side me daily so when he speaks I have to wonder what puzzle He will offer me. This particular day He reminded me I was grounded in His arms. In my endeavors to be the person I need to be, I've placed myself in the midst of good soil, and bad. Because I'm human, I make mistakes. However, today, in the depths of the blinding fog, God reminded me that the number of seeds I'd planted in good soil, far outweighed the ones I'd sunk into the bad dirt. He's given me solid roots that bury deep into the heart and soul. Even when I can't see my way through the dense mist, I don't have to worry. When I reach to take hold of my foundation, it will not falter.

I've certainly made my share of poor choices through the years, planting seeds in shallow spots – sprouting roots in uncertain places which cannot support my weight when I grab hold. But those deeply seeded efforts to cast seeds in the good soil, never go unnoticed – untended. For when I find myself lost in the fog, God reminds me I have solid roots. Roots which will not fail me.

God, Almighty and Awesome, hold me securely.

No comments: