Welcome to Mountain Breeze Devotions

Mountain Breeze Devotions began in May of 2003. This ministry is an email ministry sending devotionals and meditations seven days a week by request.
It is the sister site of www.ChristianDevotions.US

This is the ministry of authors Cindy Sproles and Eddie Jones. Two friends brought together to serve the Father -- to spread the word to those who may not know and to promote the art and writers of Christian writing.

Welcome to Mountain Breeze Devotions --Cindy Sproles, author

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Praise Him Over and Over

O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise. –Psalm 51:15

I came home from work one evening and began the daily “after work routine.” Checked my email, played with the pets, started supper…the regular things one does when they get home. I pulled up a manuscript I had been working on and began to read when suddenly, I realize I’m asleep. My mind said, “Get up” but my body said, “Rest.” I rested instead. It was only a short catnap but it was something I desperately needed.

While I slept, my mind was in a whirl. Projects I was involved in, things I needed to do, writing I needed to accomplish all rushed through my mind like crashing waves on a beach. I could never seem to clear the mist from my mind so that I could sleep peacefully. In fact, I vividly remember becoming angry because I couldn’t quiet the noise in my mind.

I got up, frustrated, and wrote an email to a dear friend in St. Louis. I guess you could say, it was a “nothing” email, an attempt to talk to someone who might vaguely feel the same frustrations as myself. The email started a bit whinny – you know –the poor me scenario, however, I realized as the email continued just how far I’d come from my past life. Suddenly, I realized things aren’t so bad. In fact, before the email was complete I was suggesting my friend bill me for this therapy session.

The point is life catches up with all of us. At some point, we all have to drop anchor and slide to a halt, otherwise, we go into overdrive and eventually crash. I found it interesting that as I whined about my situation, I ended up recognizing my blessings. God gently brushed my hair away from my face and said, “Look where you were. Look where you’ve come to, and see how much better you are for the road.”

The desires of my life are simple. I crave being in the presence of the Lord for rest and solitude. Through all the trials and hardships I have suffered, I realize I’m no different than the next guy, except that I find myself praising God joyfully for those times. I can look back at the bumps and find the reasons and the benefits for those turns of events. Then, I praise Him; for His wisdom is mighty. His plan is amazing, and His love is intoxicating. I praise him for my friends and for the laughter they bring into my life – some I haven’t seen in years but thanks to technology, can talk with daily. I praise Him for my husband who loves me regardless of my flaws, and my children whom I have the pleasure of calling my own. That’s when I realize life is good. There’s a snag upon occasion, but then – that’s life.

Praise Him over and over – in the good times and the bad. Praise Him for He is awesome and almighty, sovereign, holy and powerful. Then lay down on the couch, stretch out and close your eyes. See for yourself. The mist will lift and the fog will clear. There will be a much needed rest.

Prayer: Oh God, Father of all. We praise You through all things. Give us your peace and rest.

No comments: