Welcome to Mountain Breeze Devotions

Mountain Breeze Devotions began in May of 2003. This ministry is an email ministry sending devotionals and meditations seven days a week by request.
It is the sister site of www.ChristianDevotions.US

This is the ministry of authors Cindy Sproles and Eddie Jones. Two friends brought together to serve the Father -- to spread the word to those who may not know and to promote the art and writers of Christian writing.

Welcome to Mountain Breeze Devotions --Cindy Sproles, author

Thursday, November 22, 2007

He's with Me -- Speaking


In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe. – Hebrews 1:1-2

I love early morning – the peacefulness that greets me when I open my eyes. I often slide open the window in the early spring to hear how the world welcomes me. Spring and summer offer such snippets of creation that I find myself lost in the sounds. Winter however, brings in a different type of peacefulness – more of a “don’t bother me, I’m still sleeping” attitude placidly hovers.

Today I walked along the street as the sun peeked over the hill and I hear this echo, a cracking and popping in rhythm with my heart. Stopping, I cocked my head to one side and tried to tune in the noise. Each tap was carried gently on the nippy breeze that rushed past. Woodpeckers. I thought they left us for the winter months. I was wrong.

Each step I took clicked to their beating. I lifted my hands and clapped along with the tapping. Silence fell. The breeze stopped. Odd that the breeze would stop as well. Shaking my head, I realized I had frightened the bird, so I continued on my trek. Two steps into my walk, tap, tap, tap. I stopped a second time and the noise stopped as well. Okay, now, the woodpecker’s messing with me. A grin cracks my lips and I start again to walk. The bird pops the tree in time with my steps.

I had to wonder, even just for a brief moment, if the tapping I heard was really the woodpecker. Maybe it was God walking along side me this brisk morning. Maybe He wanted me to hear His presence because so often I forget to look and listen for Him. He had my full attention this morning and now would be a great time to speak to me.

All to often, I’m guilty of not listening – not taking time to really hear what God says to me. He must be disappointed in me when I fail Him in such a simple task. Like the rest of the world I get busy, overrun with “stuff,” and there are times I know the Father has important business for me. Yet, this God who is almighty and awesome, steps to the side and waits for me to wake up. He’s content with the time I give Him and really, He shouldn’t be. Of course, He realized the consequences of free choice when He offered it to me.

Today, I heard God walking along side me. He stopped when I stopped, walked when I walked, and listened when I spoke. I returned the favor ( the listening when He spoke part) and thanked Him for making time with me. I walked down the driveway and into the fence. Picking up a gallon jug, I walked to the bird feeder and refilled it to the top. Just in case the woodpeckers were hungry.

Prayer: You amaze me with the love You hold in Your heart for me. Thank you, Father.

No comments: