Welcome to Mountain Breeze Devotions

Mountain Breeze Devotions began in May of 2003. This ministry is an email ministry sending devotionals and meditations seven days a week by request.
It is the sister site of www.ChristianDevotions.US

This is the ministry of authors Cindy Sproles and Eddie Jones. Two friends brought together to serve the Father -- to spread the word to those who may not know and to promote the art and writers of Christian writing.

Welcome to Mountain Breeze Devotions --Cindy Sproles, author

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Least of Them All

The least of you will become a thousand, the smallest a mighty nation. I am the Lord; in its time I will do this swiftly. – Isaiah 60:22

Readers often send me notes and ask if the story they’ve read in their devotion was true. I have to smile because it reaffirms that I have some tangible writing skill. My reply is usually, “what do you think?”

A few months ago, a church member brought a picture of a child into our presence. He introduced her and told us about her fight with cancer. Our congregation came to know this little girl through this member, and we prayed for her sight unseen. On the Sunday morning it was announced this child had lost her battle with cancer, a hush fell across the congregation. Individuals who had never met this little girl felt her loss. Soft sniffles echoed throughout the church as we reflected on this little girls’ impact. In her eight or nine short years, Hannah made an impression of faith that few can equal. Our church family never had the opportunity to meet this child, however, our love and prayers encircled her regularly.

Several years ago a church member lifted his niece, Brittany, before our congregation and the multiple problems she had experienced from the moment she entered this world. We recently met her for the first time as she participated in a wedding. For years we had prayed for this little girl, never having met her, now suddenly her gorgeous smile filled the room. Another testament of faith was placed before us. Again, a little one whom we had never met, had impacted our lives.

Recently, a third child was introduced to the congregation and we continue to pray for her on a daily basis. One Sunday morning, this little girl had the opportunity to attend our services. As our minister introduced her and we had a time of welcome, I sat at the organ and watched as our church members crowded around Savannah. My heart was warmed and tears filled my eyes, to see this living prayer request be welcomed as though she’d always been a member of our church. Her radiant smile and sweet personality filled us all. When the service was over, I had the opportunity to talk to her. What a blessing.

The benefits of youth are amazing. Their young age brings a resilience to them that adults simply cannot match. However, what touched me the most was seeing how such a tiny person had impacted so many. Someone, who by earthly standards shouldn’t make much difference; but does just that.

It saddens me when I hear people say, “I can’t do that because…” or “I don’t have a talent” when God uses even the tiniest of us to change lives. The difference in these children and most adults is their willingness to be witnesses. The face of Christ shines through these children and there are times when I feel shamed at my own lack of faith. For the times I doubt and wonder, fretting that things will go wrong, there are these few trusting children who are the example of what I need to be. Whole-hearted trust and faith, given freely and completely to the Father – and it takes the life of child to set the example. The least of you will become a thousand, the smallest a mighty nation. I am the Lord; in its time I will do this swiftly.(Isaiah 60:22) How big is your faith?

Prayer: Lord, may we lift ourselves to You to be used as Your humble servants. May we have the faith of a mustard seed.

No comments: