Welcome to Mountain Breeze Devotions

Mountain Breeze Devotions began in May of 2003. This ministry is an email ministry sending devotionals and meditations seven days a week by request.
It is the sister site of www.ChristianDevotions.US

This is the ministry of authors Cindy Sproles and Eddie Jones. Two friends brought together to serve the Father -- to spread the word to those who may not know and to promote the art and writers of Christian writing.

Welcome to Mountain Breeze Devotions --Cindy Sproles, author

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I'm A Nut



“They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor.” Isaiah 61:3

I’ve never been able to sit down at the beginning of a new year and write out goals. I find myself looking at the hopes and dreams of my family rather than myself. I want to be sure they have all they hope for. It’s a mom thing, I suppose.

I sat through a well known motivational seminar some years ago and took page after page of notes on having a winning attitude and setting goals, but when it came down to actually putting my own goals on a sheet of paper – I went blank. The speaker walked past each of us glancing over our shoulders and reading what was on our papers. When he glanced over my shoulder, he patted me on the back and said, “Honey, are you struggling?” A bit embarrassed, I smiled. He laughed a jolly laugh and remarked. “You’re a nut.” A bit confused I stared at him with a glazed look. “You’re a nut. You are a nut, waiting to become a mighty oak.” I jotted that tidbit down and it hangs by my computer to this day as a reminder that I am someone special in the making.

I’ve often wondered why it is so hard, especially for women, to feel deserving of more than we allow ourselves. Some say it is our deserve level, while others say it is the fear of success. I suppose there are a lot of good physiological reasons why, but one really sticks with me. It’s humility. Of course, we want for ourselves. For me, I work daily to achieve the dreams I have, but more than my own wants, is the desire to see those around me achieve their hopes and dreams as well.

Our Father has blessed us with much. He’s given us individual talents, abilities and desires and though He offers us abundance, I have to think that it’s not all about me and what I can achieve. In the realm of successful thinking, I’m sure to be called a failure because I don’t climb kicking and shouting over others to achieve my dreams. Some of us just have a dream of happiness for ourselves and for others. There is nothing wrong with that desire. On a daily basis, I write. I make efforts to improve my skill and I hope for a book contract someday. However, on the other side of the coin – I want others to find happiness and peace in the joy of the Lord.

Call it what you like. Label it with some physiological name, but I prefer to agree with the motivational speaker. “I’m a nut, waiting to become a mighty oak” and when I spread my limbs, hopefully it will bear the leaves of others who have been an inspiration to me and those who I may have inspired as well. We are a blessed people, given to abundance. How do you use yours?

Prayer: Heavenly Father, may we always place You in the forefront of any of our desires. May we always share Your abundance with others. Make us a mighty Oak.

No comments: