Welcome to Mountain Breeze Devotions

Mountain Breeze Devotions began in May of 2003. This ministry is an email ministry sending devotionals and meditations seven days a week by request.
It is the sister site of www.ChristianDevotions.US

This is the ministry of authors Cindy Sproles and Eddie Jones. Two friends brought together to serve the Father -- to spread the word to those who may not know and to promote the art and writers of Christian writing.

Welcome to Mountain Breeze Devotions --Cindy Sproles, author

Saturday, August 4, 2007

Believe It or Not


Believe It or Not

It’s always much easier to run from our fears and insecurities than it is to face them. It’s the old, “out of sight, out of mind” trick. If we choose not to see or listen to the things that challenge us, then they can’t hurt us.

On a personal note, I’ve taught ladies Sunday school classes, and been a keynote speaker before a college PhD class, spoken for support groups and ladies conferences, but nothing has intimidated me worse than teaching the adult Vacation Bible School class.

A class that consisted of my family members, my husband, members of our church joint board of elders and deacons just screamed, “No pressure!” My first thoughts were to pray no one would show for the class. However, it seems God had another idea or two.

He looked down from heaven and said, “Buck up girl, you’ve got all you need to teach. Believe in me.” And though I know the class could have probably been better, I felt okay with its success. It’s frightening to lift one’s heart to God and ask Him to use us, especially when we don’t know what He’s got in store for us. Still, God knows our fears and He whispers in our ear, “Believe in me.”

“Believe in me.” Who’d have ever thought such simple words could be so difficult. As a Christian it requires me to step forward, in spite of my fears and trust. God doesn’t take into account all the “what if’s”, He simply tells me, “You can do it! I am with you.”

“Believe in me.” Those words forced me to ask myself the question, “Do I really believe in Him?” I shuddered to think those words might not be true. If I truly believed, I’d have no problem doing what God asks. Right?

Unfortunately, it’s not that easy. We are human and though we know what we need to do, we still fall prey to the fears and insecurities of our species. Satan still instills doubt into places we least expect. Jeremiah 1:8 tells us, “Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you, declares the Lord.” (That is – if I believe.)

The statement I place before you today is the same question God used to convict me. “Believe in me. Trust me. I am with you. Don’t be afraid.” Now, armed with this promise – go and challenge yourself.

Prayer: Father, You are always there for me, even when I refuse to see You standing and calling for me to believe.

No comments: