Welcome to Mountain Breeze Devotions

Mountain Breeze Devotions began in May of 2003. This ministry is an email ministry sending devotionals and meditations seven days a week by request.
It is the sister site of www.ChristianDevotions.US

This is the ministry of authors Cindy Sproles and Eddie Jones. Two friends brought together to serve the Father -- to spread the word to those who may not know and to promote the art and writers of Christian writing.

Welcome to Mountain Breeze Devotions --Cindy Sproles, author

Friday, June 27, 2008

He Said -- She Said June 27, 2008

He Said -- Wave Walking

“Lord, if it's you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.” “Come,” Jesus said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?” - Matthew 14:28-31

What would if feel like to drown?

In a few weeks I’m traveling to Central America to surf the Pacific coast of Nicaragua. I’m not worried about wiping out. I’ve done enough of that already know I can’t catch and ride every wave. Failure is a part of success. But I do worry, a little, about drowning.

When I read the story of Peter wave-walking across the sea I don’t judge his “little faith.” I have looked up the face of a twenty foot set rolling toward me, knowing there is no way out up and over. I’ve felt the weightless of free falling as the lip tosses me onto a reef.

“If Peter had kept his eyes on Jesus he would have been fine,” the Christian-lite landlubber preachers tell us from the safety of their pulpits. Coaching from the beach is easy, but it takes a true disciple to get into the water.

The call to the abundant life is real, but so are the dangers. Without the sting of death, living on the edge of adventure means nothing. I like Peter. He’s a man of action.


  • Peter called and Christ said “come”

  • Peter got out

  • Peter walked on the waves

  • Peter experienced both excitement and fear

  • He sank

  • Peter cried out

  • Jesus reached out

It is that last part, the Jesus reaching out, that I like best.

Jesus didn't scold Peter for his foolish faith. If anything, Christ praised him. Remove one adjective and it reads, “You of … faith. Why did you doubt?”

Why indeed? Success lies in only one direction — straight ahead. If you look back, you’ll get sidetracked.

That night on the Sea of Tiberius the wind was real, the waves were large but sometimes a boat, even a large boat, will get swamped. The storms of life will come. That’s a fact. But if I’ve learned anything from wave walking it’s this: life begins when you jump in.

Are you stuck on the beach? Take a dip. You know what God is calling you to do. Now do it!




Christian Devotions

She Said -- Scared to Death



Click on this button to hear this devotion. - Scared to Death - By Cindy Sproles


"Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water." "Come," Jesus said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!" Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?" - Matthew 14:28-31


I gazed up as the green cars soared overhead, then swallowed and pulled my shoulders back. “Naw, I'll be fine.” I'd convinced myself there'd be nothing to this adventure — this it was do-able, that I’d be fine. Then I took a deep breath and recalled of the ride’s specifications: zero to 40 mph in two seconds, maximum speed, 67 mph, seven inversions through two subterranean trenches, the longest 2-minutes and 15-seconds. For me, the ride would last an eternity.

I hate roller coasters, but the mother in me said I should spend quality time with my sons. With feet like lead and a mouth dry as sand, I smiled and followed my boys to the front of the line.

“Mom, you're the best. You'll love this,” said Cameron. Somehow, I didn’t think so.
More coaster cars roared past; metal grinding against metal, passengers squealing, women and some men bawling. My husband leaned over and offered to wait with me if I was too chicken. But I knew that wouldn't be fair. My husband’s the biggest kid of all.

The cars stopped and I slid in, my legs braced me against the front of the cart. They snapped the shoulder harness in place and I changed my mind. Too late. At the first inversion I felt as though I was going to slip through the harness and fall.
I can't count the times that I’ve fallen and failed Christ, the number of days when I’ve lost courage. And never once has he denounced me. Instead He's told me to come to Him, to joyfully step out on faith and walk toward Him. Unworthy as I am, He’s reached His hand to me and pulled me to safety, even when my heart has failed me.
What an amazing God.

Halfway through the ride, my husband’s arm came across me and grabbed my harness, and then Cameron's. My men pressed against me holding me firm. I cracked open one eye to see them laughing hysterically, yet they never turned loose. One ride on the Hulk was enough, but I will never turn loose of the arms that hold me, that love me, that keep me close.

When I keep my eyes centered on the Father, regardless of the perils that surround me, He never lets me fall. It's all about focus and trust.

Do you feel like you're sinking? Cry to Him. He will lift you up.


Christian Devotions

No comments: