Welcome to Mountain Breeze Devotions

Mountain Breeze Devotions began in May of 2003. This ministry is an email ministry sending devotionals and meditations seven days a week by request.
It is the sister site of www.ChristianDevotions.US

This is the ministry of authors Cindy Sproles and Eddie Jones. Two friends brought together to serve the Father -- to spread the word to those who may not know and to promote the art and writers of Christian writing.

Welcome to Mountain Breeze Devotions --Cindy Sproles, author

Friday, June 20, 2008

He Said, She Said -- June 20, 2008

The Graduate - He Said

Click on this button to hear this devotion - Listen to The Graduate- He Said, By Eddie Jones

“I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.”Luke 15:7

The instructions were explicit. There was to be no cheering, no clapping — no whistling or calling of your child’s name. The culmination of twelve years of formal education was to be celebrated with silence. All the homework, lab experiments, research papers, class projects and late night study sessions had earned my son the right to rush across the stage and return to his seat empty handed. Even the real diplomas were stored in a box off stage.

As I watched him hurry across the platform I thought of how many times my wife and I had preached the importance of education and how on this, the biggest day of his high school career, we couldn’t applaud his efforts.

The silence was deafening.

Life is that way, sometimes. To often we reach our goals only to find the fame fleeting, the cheers muted. The world’s best golfer fights through an injury to win a major tournament and, after five days and 91 holes, his reward is a ten second sound bite on the evening news.

Man was meant for more than restrained adoration, made for more than solemn tributes. He was and is created in the image of God. Mark Twain was right when he said, “I can live for two months on a good compliment.”

It’s true. We appreciate being appreciated — wives, especially. And it helps to hear the words, “well done, good job and I’m proud of you,” even if for a few moments. But the applause is not enough because in the end, adoration is addicting.

Fame begets pride and pride gives birth to sin which, when it is full grown, kills.

Later that evening as I settled down with my Bible, I thought of my son’s achievements and how proud I was of his hard work, of how I’d wished I could have cheered when they called his name. Then I re-read the words of Jesus and was reminded that the real hand clapping and foot stomping began years earlier when my son gave his life to Christ.

“There will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents,” said Jesus. I was glad to know that the crowd had clapped and cheered on the day my son had repented and chosen Christ as his rabbi. In the end, that is the only achievement that matters, the only true hope I have for each of my sons, nieces and nephew.

But this I know for certain. On the day when I see my savior take His place of honor on the heavenly throne, no one will be able to silence my applause or quiet my voice as I chant the name, “Jesus Christ!” again and again.

… and again.

Christian Devotions


Lost -- She Said


Click on this button to hear this devotion - Listen to Lost - He Said, By Cindy Sproles


"I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent." - Luke 15:7


I was lost! Someplace where Mount Le Conte meets heaven, the Smokey Mountain mist sailed in on a breeze and covered the summit. The crystal blue sky turned white and miles of breathtaking views vanished in seconds. So I sat. Nothing else I could do. I'd only taken a short hike from the camp but everyone would wonder where I was. After all, who'd have thought I would be lost. When the minutes became hours and the fog did not lift, fear crept in.

The Father knows us each by name. He numbers his flock and when one wanders-when one is lost - He begins His search. Sometimes we elude Him unintentionally, stepping behind a rock to avoid detection and keep our sin private. Other times we just wander off to graze on the worldly desires that, in and of themselves may not bad, but which cause us to become distracted.

I was lost so I crawled across the ground in search of a pathway I couldn't see. I knew the others would be searching for me, and they were, so eventually I stopped crawling, sat and waited.

At last the hand of a friend touched my shoulders. A shriek joy and laughter sang across the pass and echoed off the mountain. Lisa embraced me and sobbed. "I was scared to death," she said. "I asked God to find you. How could someone be lost so close to heaven?" Never before had I felt such warmth and happiness as my friends celebrated. The mountainside rejoiced.

When I think of the times I sin--fail God, I hang my head. Still, Christ searches for me. He looks behind every bush and tree for this lamb who has lost her way. And when He spies me, crouched next to a rock, He lifts me into the air, and there
thunderous rejoicing in heaven.

If you're lost and crawling on your hands and knees. Stop. Sit still. Allow Christ to find you in the mist. You are as worthy as the rest. There will be great rejoicing because you have been found.

And when we find our way back into His arms, the Shepherd cries tears of elation.

No comments: