Welcome to Mountain Breeze Devotions

Mountain Breeze Devotions began in May of 2003. This ministry is an email ministry sending devotionals and meditations seven days a week by request.
It is the sister site of www.ChristianDevotions.US

This is the ministry of authors Cindy Sproles and Eddie Jones. Two friends brought together to serve the Father -- to spread the word to those who may not know and to promote the art and writers of Christian writing.

Welcome to Mountain Breeze Devotions --Cindy Sproles, author

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Spitting Contest


So, because you are lukewarm-neither hot or cold-I am about to spit you out of my mouth. - Revelation 3:16


I've done more things with my kids that, under normal circumstances, I would have never considered. Let's start with roller coasters. I hate roller coasters-the feeling stems from riding an old wood coaster with only a bar that came across your lap. Making that fifty foot climb up the incline, hesitating at the top, then tilting and soaring down the other side scared me to death. I felt like I would fall out. I'm proud to say, I've ridden The Hulk at Universal. I had to be peeled off the seat when it was over, but I rode it with my adult children.

When you have boys, you do things you wouldn't normally do. For instance, a spitting contest. I know, it's gross and frankly, I can't believe I actually participated, but you do what you must. I went outside one day to find the boys lined along the sidewalk, cups of water in hand, and spitting at mason jars. Each time they'd hit the jar, they'd move it backward, aiming for a harder hit. It wasn't long before Tim and I were both involved. Of course when we ran out of water, we resorted to the ole' time way of playing the game, and as disgusting as it was, we had a ball.

Spitting is just nasty. People do it when they're sick, or something tastes bad. Ever get a mouth full of lukewarm water? You spit!

My relationship with Christ is something I strive to never take for granted. Developing it means studying, reading, immersing myself into the heart of the Father through His word. Likewise, this same relationship is taken very seriously by God. He desires for me to know Him, and He has a wonderful plan for me. He wants me active and working, seeking and praying because that's where I can find Him.

When I read about the church at Laodicea, my heart breaks because God resorts to spitting--and this time, it's not a kid's game. He said, "because you are lukewarm -- neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth."

I stumble at times and sin. My weaknesses show through. But my heart and my conviction never falter. I can't imagine being so wishy-washy, so inactive in my spiritual life God would want to spit me out.

The only spitting I do these days is watermelon seeds, and my prayer is that on the day Christ comes, He will not spit me into a mason jar. How is your relationship with the Father? Is it lukewarm or is it boiling? Aim for boiling.

No comments: