Welcome to Mountain Breeze Devotions

Mountain Breeze Devotions began in May of 2003. This ministry is an email ministry sending devotionals and meditations seven days a week by request.
It is the sister site of www.ChristianDevotions.US

This is the ministry of authors Cindy Sproles and Eddie Jones. Two friends brought together to serve the Father -- to spread the word to those who may not know and to promote the art and writers of Christian writing.

Welcome to Mountain Breeze Devotions --Cindy Sproles, author

Monday, May 19, 2008

Guest Devotionalist -- Sue Payne

"But the Lord said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." - 1 Samuel 16:7

Changed Before My Eyes
Motorcycle Guy
By: Sue Payne


I remember attending a certain church service about ten years ago. It happened to be the weekend the Christian Motorcycle Association held their annual conference and conducted their meetings and activities at the church. Rick, the head of this particular chapter, was slotted to give the message at each of the Sunday morning services.

As he was introduced and stepped to the platform, my mind immediately began to judge. He wore black leather pants, boots, and vest. His hair was long and curly. His face weathered and scarred. He was not attractive by my standards and I wondered what the pastor of the church was thinking! Sadly, I sat there feeling almost threatened by his presence.....then he began to speak.

As he shared about his life of abuse, neglect, violence, drugs, and alcohol, pity began to push out my feelings of judgment. No wonder this man has such a tough exterior, I thought. His testimony continued as he recalled how God had pursued him through "the valley of the shadow of death" and how his grandmother had never missed a day covering him with prayer. At this point, this tough character of a man began to cry.

The threatening presence I had felt just minutes before suddenly was replaced by the presence of a "Holiness" I had never experienced anything like this. Literally, this man changed in front of my eyes. Here was a man who truly knew Jesus. It was then that I first realized what it was like to really see the "Jesus" in someone. I was in the presence of the Lord because Jesus had chosen to testify His love for me through Rick.

You may be thinking; How can a person's appearance change before my eyes? This is possible, but only when you look at an individual's heart through the eyes of Christ. God opened my eyes that day.

I've heard it said that the heart of a matter is a matter of the heart. The next time you find yourself judging another person's character or appearance, remember that we are all made in the image of God. Ask the Lord to show you how to look beyond the outer appearance and see the "Jesus" within.





Sue Payne
Sue Payne is a freelance writer whose articles have appeared in home schooling newsletters and church news bulletins. Most recently one of her articles took second place at the Delaware Christian Writer's Conference. She is experienced in curriculum planning and design and uses her writing skills to encourage and teach others. Sue lives in Delaware, is married, and has two boys whom she home schooled for a total of fourteen years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue- I just read your devotion and loved it! It was awesome ... thanks for sharing not only your gift of writing, but sharing your heart as well! God bless!

Unknown said...

Sue,
I just got around to reading your devotion and thoroughly enjoyed it!! I remember something similar happening to me once. I had just been in a minor car accident (my front driver's side door was hit by a passing car and was "stuck open" so I couldn't really drive anywhere. I couldn't get in touch with Jim. A man dressed in very dirty ragged clothes approached me and I was frightened. It turned out that he had a tool close my door and a bungee cord to give me so I could drive home - he was my angel sent to help me - but I had judged him by his appearance.