Welcome to Mountain Breeze Devotions

Mountain Breeze Devotions began in May of 2003. This ministry is an email ministry sending devotionals and meditations seven days a week by request.
It is the sister site of www.ChristianDevotions.US

This is the ministry of authors Cindy Sproles and Eddie Jones. Two friends brought together to serve the Father -- to spread the word to those who may not know and to promote the art and writers of Christian writing.

Welcome to Mountain Breeze Devotions --Cindy Sproles, author

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Lessons from the Lawn -- Part 1


Click on this button to hear this devotion Listen to Lessons from the Lawn -- Part 1, by - Cindy Sproles

You became imitators of us and of the Lord; in spite of severe suffering, you welcomed the message with joy given by the Holy Spirit. And so you became a model to all the believers in Macedoina and Achaia. – 1 Thessalonians 1: 6 & 7

I like to mow. Hop on the riding mower, kick it into third and mow. We have just over an acre of rolling sloped yard and for me, it’s a pleasure to mow up the hill, around the shady area, and back down. There’s quality thinking time on the seat of a mower.

But! My husband doesn’t like me to mow. Don’t misunderstand, he appreciates my efforts, but he’s not crazy about how I cut grass. Making a square around the yard is boring. There’s no adventure in traveling the straight path. When I mow, there’s a menagerie lines throughout the yard. It starts as a square. Before long, I hang a left and go at an angle (I’m thinking baseball field mowing). Later I may circle the trees. There’s no rhyme to what I do other that it’s fun. When I mow, my husband stands with a distraught look on his face, arms crossed, and cringing as I pass. I wave—he nods, then digs the toe of his tennis shoe into the grass.

When I see those beautifully cut baseball outfields on television, I want those same lines in my yard. I want the result, but most of the time I’m in too much of a hurry. All my efforts seem to yield is the smell of freshly cut grass and a hodge-podge of green crayon marks swirling across the yard.

Christ became the ultimate example for us and He wants us to strive to be like Him. Tender of heart, strong of spirit and determined of soul. He wants us to be an imitator. He lays the way clear for me to follow and as long as I stick to the map, the lines in my yard are pretty. It’s when I get that wild hair to hang a left that messes up the process. The bad part is—then I have to wait for the grass to grow so I can re-cut it the right way.

Every time I stray from His direction, I leave an impression on my soul that has to be grown out – worked on, groomed, and forgiven. That takes time, and sometimes it’s a painful time.

Be an imitator. Follow the way Christ has charted. Become a model for others to follow. Mow the right way, and others will want a yard like yours.

No comments: