Welcome to Mountain Breeze Devotions

Mountain Breeze Devotions began in May of 2003. This ministry is an email ministry sending devotionals and meditations seven days a week by request.
It is the sister site of www.ChristianDevotions.US

This is the ministry of authors Cindy Sproles and Eddie Jones. Two friends brought together to serve the Father -- to spread the word to those who may not know and to promote the art and writers of Christian writing.

Welcome to Mountain Breeze Devotions --Cindy Sproles, author

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

INDENTITY CRISIS - Guest Devotionalist, Candy Arrington


Identity Crisis?

By Suzannah Ruthanne Candy Neely Willingham Arrington

“And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father,

Prince of Peace” (Isaiah 9:6 NIV).

If I wanted to, I could have a major identity crisis. Over the years, my name has been misused and confused. The name I was given at birth is a name I’ve never been called. My mother wanted to name me Suzannah, but my father didn’t, so, they settled for naming me for my grandmother, Ruth Anne. While still in the hospital nursery, folks began calling me “Baby” Ruth to distinguish me from my grandmother. The name caught on quickly and soon my father decided that if I was Baby Ruth, I was Candy, i.e., the candy bar. Thus, the child whose birth certificate read “Ruth Anne Neely” became “Candy Neely.” To this day, there are still some annoying people who insist on calling me “Candace” because they are sure that is my REAL name.

My numerous nomenclatures have been a source of confusion for government agencies, schools, insurance companies, the highway department, and countless individuals. Diplomas, award certificates, my wedding invitations, and even checks reflect my various nombres. I’ve successfully created aliases without even trying. Even now, when I have manuscripts accepted for publication, editors reply with “exactly how should we make out the check?” It’s especially confusing when I use my pen name “Suzannah Willingham.” Mama liked the name Suzannah and I do, too, so I figure I should use it from time to time.

When I married, I decided I didn’t want to lose the “Anne” in my name so I began writing the “Ruth” and “Anne” together. Thus, my married name legally is Ruthanne N. Arrington… I think. At least that’s how the IRS has me listed so I guess it must be official. Very quickly I went from a compact ten-letter name to too much name to fit on the blanks of most things I need to sign.

Some people would be disturbed to have such a vast array of monikers. I rather like it. I can be whomever I feel like being on that particular day. If I feel formal, I can use my married legal name. If I feel witty and happy, I’m Candy. If I’m feeling moody or mysterious, I might be Suzannah Ruth. The choice is mine.

It’s comforting to know Jesus has lots of names, too. Sometimes the name “Jesus” is all that keeps me from a real identity crisis. Because I put my faith and trust in Him, I am saved and bear the name “Christian.” For me, there is no confusion about that title. I’m redeemed and the name “Jesus” is emblazoned on my heart and life. No amount of confused name-calling can cause me to question that name, nor can it be taken away from me. I’m not concerned about which of my names is written in the Lamb’s Book of Life. Perhaps it simply reads “my child.” No matter what the designation, I’m content knowing my name is there and my Father recognizes me.

Father, I’m thankful you know us no matter what our earthly names.

Candy Arrington is a contributing writer for Focus on the Family's Focus on Focus on Your Child parenting publications. Additionally, her publishing credits include: The Upper Room, Encounter, Discipleship Journal, The Lookout, Advanced Christian Writer, CBN.com, and Writer's Digest. Candy is co-author of AFTERSHOCK: Help, Hope, and Healing in the Wake of Suicide (B & H Publishing Group). How to Have a Life While Caring for Your Aging Parent releases July 2009 - Harvest House Publishers. She is also on staff with The Christian Communicator Manuscript Critique Service and teaches at several national writers’ conferences. http://www.CandyArrington.com



No comments: